We are also hiring for other Construction Management positions including:
Area Manager - Bridge Construction
Zenith Tech Inc. a Walbec Group Company
Are you looking for an exciting career in road, highway, and bridge construction? Zenith Tech Inc. of the Walbec Group has a place for hard working, loyal, and driven people like you. Come work with us as an Area Manager and enjoy a family-focused, progressive culture. Our approach is driven by an involved focus on Safety and efficiency, resulting in us being a leader in the heavy and highway construction industry.
The Walbec Group of companies is currently in its third generation of family leadership producing high-quality construction materials and delivering unparalleled professional design, engineering, and construction services.
- Recently named a Milwaukee Business Journal Best Place to Work in 2020, 2021 and 2022.
- Associated with many exciting state, municipal, federal, and commercial projects. Check out our website for a complete list of interesting projects. walbecgroup.com
- Proud Partner of the Green Bay Packers.
Under the direction of the Vice President, the Area Manager is responsible for all bidding and construction activities in a specified area. This includes planning, directing, coordinating, budgeting and managing activities for the bidding and construction of projects within the area. They are also responsible for promoting a culture of safety, ethics, quality, training, diversity and inclusion.
Role and Responsibilities
- Act as a liaison between Vice President/Senior Leadership team and Project Management and Scheduling to align company direction, culture and organizational development
- Oversee and direct bidding and construction activity for direct report Project Managers
- Direct and assist Project Managers in coordination of projects with Construction Managers and Foremen
- Review project specifications with Project Managers to ensure appropriate construction methods, use of equipment, personnel and subcontracting
- Monitor market conditions, bidding trends and competition within respective area
- Train and develop Project Managers through levels of project management
- Good knowledge and understanding of aggregate sites and asphalt plants within the area
- Knowledge and understanding to be a liaison for Project Managers with Fabrication Shop and Engineering
- Good working knowledge of specifications; ensure Structural Engineers are included appropriately and ensure specifications are met and documented correctly
- Assist in long term scheduling and planning with Fabrication Shops
- Review, monitor and negotiate construction contracts for the area
- Track and manage Project Manager's workload including bidding, billing, scheduling, accounts receivable, marketing, and customer relationship building
- Promote and build strong relationships with area customers including key WisDOT personnel; municipal engineers/leaders; general contractors and developers
- Involvement in local and state politics, funding and planning that affect the area
- Assist HR in recruitment and hiring of Project Managers and Interns
- Ongoing financial management of the area including monitoring job costs, billing, receivables, cost to complete document, etc.
- Leader in promoting safety, training, quality, ethics and productivity within the area
- Perform other related duties as required and assigned
Team members at the Walbec Group are offered competitive pay and benefits that align with our values while supporting good health and a balanced life now and into the future. Additionally, we offer a range of opportunities for professional development and career growth that help us all to be successful.
We have the usual suspects like dental, vision, life, flex, EAP, PTO and holidays, but our favorites are the "no premium medical plan" and HRA contribution (with participation in wellness initiatives), company paid STD and LTD, 401k & profit sharing with company contribution and lastly, robust Walbec training.
- This position is located primarily in Waukesha, but projects will vary by location throughout the local area, or the state, so reliable transportation and/or a willingness to travel to any job site is required as needed.
- Bachelor's Degree and/or minimum of 6-8 years of experience in contracting, construction, or manufacturing
- Knowledge of field construction operations, including bidding, building and negotiations
- Ability to manage and lead people effectively
- Flexible and available to interact with employees at all levels
- Ability to manage multiple conflicting priorities
- Ability to analyze and interpret financial data
- Self-directed and motivated
- Excellent verbal and written communication, conflict management, interpersonal and negotiation skills
- Valid driver's license and acceptable driving record
Why Should You Apply?
First, because we are committed to a diverse and inclusive culture here at the Walbec Group. Our leadership understands the unique abilities and differences of our team members is what drives our innovation and growth. When you choose Walbec, you'll be welcomed into a supportive environment where all team members feel heard, respected, and valued.
- Excellent wages and benefits packages.
- Job security in our role as an essential company providing infrastructure services.
- Growth opportunities working alongside and learning from experienced industry professionals.
- Be involved in innovative, cool projects throughout the local area and the state.
- Family-oriented, supportive culture.
We are an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and Affirmative Action employer and it is our practice to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants. In addition, it is the policy of the Company to comply with applicable federal, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in each locality in which the Company has employees. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply!