East-West Bus Rapid Transit
Construction is well underway on the East-West Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) project in the Milwaukee metropolitan area. Construction began on June 1, 2021, with a tentative completion scheduled for spring 2023. This nine-mile, regional, modern transit service will connect major employment, education, and recreation destinations through downtown Milwaukee, Milwaukee’s Near West Side, Marquette University, Wauwatosa, and the Milwaukee Regional Medical Center (MRMC).
As the first of its kind in the state of Wisconsin, this is both a challenging and exciting project for ZTI to be a part of. The team has had to tackle a variety of urban construction activities, including coordination between municipalities, complex utilities installation, and trade coordination within a complex project schedule.
The team concluded construction just west of Marquette University’s Campus at the end of the 2021 construction season. During the winter months, project partners worked on setting shelters at stations where the concrete was complete and traffic signal priority integration. In April 2022, ZTI began construction in the downtown corridor from Water Street to Van Buren Street. Throughout the summer of 2022, work continued at the University locations and moved east. With four platforms, five stations of concrete, and nine shelters to be completed - Zenith Tech is looking to have its work finished by the beginning of November 2022. In the spring of 2023, the installation of pavement markings, permanent signage, and platform pylon signs will be completed, along with the final landscaping.
- 32 stations beginning at the Watertown Plank Park & Ride and working east
- Zenith Tech is providing construction management services, concrete pavement, curb & gutter, ADA ramps, and sidewalks.
- Subcontract partners:
- Concrete removals
- Reinforced station foundations
- Setting station shelters
- Installation of utilities
- Transit signal priority integration
- Connecting the new storm sewer to the existing sewer
- Electrical work at each platform to accommodate the installation of a snowmelt system, real-time tracking screens, ticket vending and validating machines, illuminated shelters, pylon signs, ramps, and steps leading to the platform.
- Payne + Dolan is providing surveying services and asphalt paving.
Great collaboration and teamwork between HTNB (Construction Management Consultant) and subcontractor partners have been key to a successful first season of this project. The team continues to communicate effectively and work through issues together to ensure this project is a huge success for Wisconsin.