Payne and Dolan, Inc.
20.00 - Hourly
Quality Control Field Technician
Payne and Dolan Inc, A Walbec Goup Company
Under the direction of the Technical Services Manager, the Field Technician is responsible for providing quality testing for the company in an ethical, precise and expedient manner. In addition, the Field Technician must be able to work and communicate in a professional manner with both internal and external customers
Role and Responsibilities:
- Be capable of performing mathematical calculations required for necessary daily job duties.
- Testing of aggregates for gradation, moisture content, percent fracture percent elongation and specific gravity.
- Testing of pavements for percent compaction.
- Testing of hot mix asphalt for gradation, specific gravity, and calculation of percent air voids, percent VMA, percent VFB.
- Test all material using the applicable specifications and current test procedures within relevant agency manuals, training and certifications while utilizing the Corporate QC Lab Standards Manual as a guideline
- Reporting of test results including documentation of specific test performed, calculation of averages and relaying results
- Document and maintain all test data on the appropriate data sheets and charts after every test
- Maintain records in an organized manner, and to document sampling and testing performed and actions taken as a result of sampling and testing.
- Prepare, maintain and analyze control charts and to assist in the production process by making troubleshooting adjustments.
- Ensure that all appropriate forms for running averages are submitted to the RTSM, the applicable external project staff and applicable project managers on a daily basis.
- Make sure the RTSM has all the needed paperwork (job data, calibration data etc.)
- Responsible for communicating all test results to the street foreman, plant foreman, RTSM and all necessary others
- Ensure all information is accurate and entered on the appropriate data sheets (job number, State ID number, verification number, time of test etc.)
- Ensure that all equipment is working properly and is calibrated. Responsible for following the calibration schedule for each lab and notifying the RTSM of any malfunctioning equipment. Perform regular maintenance on testing equipment.
- Practice good housekeeping of all testing equipment, laboratories and vehicles used. Follow all cleaning schedules
- Ensure that the proper forms are completed when setting up a lab, tearing down a lab for a move, and at end of the season
- Maintain vehicles when utilized to visit job sites and complete all necessary safety checks and log books to ensure accurate driving records.
- Sampling of materials from various locations within the region, including portable crushers, portable wash, and permanent and portable asphalt plants.
- All other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Education Requirements:
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Valid driver's license and satisfactory driving record.
- Strong interpersonal, organization and communication skills, work well in a team environment.
- The ability to effectively handle multiple tasks simultaneously; and the ability to work effectively and efficiently with minimal supervision, must be a self-starter.
- The ability to frequently lift 50 70 pounds.
- The ability to physically perform the required tests, both in the lab and on a field construction site.
- The ability to understand and follow all established and required company safety guidelines.
- The ability to obtain the necessary certifications required to perform assigned duties.
- The ability to strictly adhere to company established laboratory standards.
- Bachelor's Degree, Associates Degree, or an equivalent combination of training and work experience.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- The ability to work varied hours including nights, early mornings, and weekends, as needed. Overnight stays and extended travel may be required.
- All Technicians who will be operating any meter will be issued a dosimeter in order to monitor the individual's occupational exposure to radiation.
- Each Technician must abide by and follow all the administrative codes concerning radiation protection and will be required to attend and pass "Radiation Safety & HazMat training".
We are an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer and it is our practice to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants. In addition, it is the policy of the Company to comply with applicable federal, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in each locality in which the Company has employees.