$24-$30/hr. depending on experience - Hourly
We are also hiring for other Equipment & Repair positions including:
Heavy Equipment Mechanic
Heavy Equipment Mechanic
Payne and Dolan, Inc. -A Walbec Group Company
Are you looking for an exciting career in road, highway, and bridge construction? Payne and Dolan, Inc. of the Walbec Group has a place for hard working, loyal, and driven people like you. Come use your experience as a Heavy Equipment Mechanic and enjoy a family-focused, progressive culture. Our approach is driven by an involved focus on Safety and efficiency that has made us an industry leading company in heavy and highway construction
The Walbec Group of companies is currently in its third generation of family leadership producing high-quality construction materials and delivering unparalleled professional design, engineering, and construction services.
- Recently named a Milwaukee Business Journal 2021 Best Place to Work
- Associated with many exciting state, municipal, federal, and commercial projects. Check out our website for a complete list of interesting projects. walbecgroup.com
We're looking for a Heavy Equipment Mechanic to work in our Gladstone, MI maintenance and repair facility. Under the direction of the Shop Foreman, Mechanics are responsible for the repair and maintenance of construction equipment in a safe and efficient manner.
Role and Responsibilities:
- Determines machine or vehicle condition by conducting inspections and diagnostic tests; identifying worn and damaged parts
- Keeps equipment available for use by completing preventive maintenance schedules; installing component and part upgrades; controlling corrosion; completing winterization procedures
- Corrects deficiencies by removing, repairing, adjusting, overhauling, assembling, disassembling, and replacing major assemblies, sub-assemblies, components, parts, or systems, such as, power and drive trains, electrical, air conditioning, fuel, emission, brake, steering, hydraulics; completes machine shop operations; making adjustments and alignments including bearing loads, gear tooth contact, valve mechanisms, governors, oil systems, control linkages, clutches, and traction units
- Verifies proper performance by conducting test drives; adjusting controls and systems.
- Complies with federal and state vehicle requirements by testing engine, safety, and combustion control standards
- Maintains vehicle records by annotating services and repair logs
- Keeps shop equipment operating by following operating instructions; troubleshooting breakdowns; maintaining supplies; performing preventive maintenance; initiating repairs
- Contains costs by using warranty; evaluating service and parts options
- Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading technical and regulation publications
- Use mobile service truck to perform service calls on equipment in the field
- Performs other related duties as required and assigned
Team members at the Walbec Group are offered competitive pay and benefits that align with our values while supporting good health and a balanced life now and into the future. Additionally, we offer a range of opportunities for professional development and career growth that help us all to be successful.
- We have the usual suspects like Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, Flex Spending Accounts, Employee Assistance Program (EAP), Paid Time Off (PTO) and holidays, but our favorites are the "no premium Medical plan" and HRA contribution (with participation in wellness initiatives), company paid Short Term Disability (STD) and Long Term Disability (LTD), 401k & Profit Sharing with generous company contributions and lastly, robust Walbec training.
- This position works as part of the staff in our Gladstone, MI maintenance & repair facility
- A valid Driver's License and satisfactory driving record. (CDL preferred or the ability to obtain)
- Two to three years of prior work experience working on heavy duty trucks, heavy equipment, etc. and experience working on diesel engines
- Is required to have own tools up to 1" drive (some specialty tools supplied by the shop)
- Prior experience performing diagnostics, including electrical troubleshooting and computer-aided diagnosis as well as reading electrical and hydraulic schematics
- High School diploma as well as vocational training and certification from an accredited organization, or combination of schooling and relevant work experience
- Strong technical understanding, good problem-solving skills, attention to detail, and thoroughness
- Adaptable to new equipment and a willingness to learn and be trained
- Prior experience documenting repairs and utilizing a parts-ordering system
- Must be a motivated, punctual and dependable self-starter with good communication skills
- The ability to work varied hours including nights, early mornings, and weekends as needed
- Be able to tolerate and work in typical heavy shop environment as part of a large team
Why Should You Apply?
First, because we are committed to a diverse and inclusive culture here at the Walbec Group. Our leadership understands the unique abilities and differences of our team members is what drives our innovation and growth. When you choose Walbec, you'll be welcomed into a supportive environment where all team members feel heard, respected, and valued.
- Excellent wages and benefits packages
- Job security in our role as an essential company providing infrastructure services
- Growth opportunities working alongside and learning from experienced industry professionals
- A strong Safety-First culture
- Be part of the support team that helps build innovative, cool projects throughout the local area and the state
- Family-oriented, supportive environment
We are an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer and it is our practice to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants. In addition, it is the policy of the Company to comply with applicable federal, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in each locality in which the Company has employees. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply!