Union Scale - Hourly
We are also hiring for other Asphalt & Concrete Production positions including:
Asphalt Plant Helper
Asphalt Plant Helper - Waukesha / Milwaukee / Kenosha / Madison Area(s)
Payne & Dolan Inc., A Walbec Group Company
Are you looking for an exciting career in road, highway, and bridge construction? Payne & Dolan, Inc. of the Walbec Group has a place for hard working, loyal, and driven people like you. Come work with us as an Asphalt Plant Helper and enjoy a family-focused, progressive culture and work with an industry-leading company in heavy road and highway construction.
The Walbec Group of companies is currently in its third generation of family leadership producing high-quality construction materials and delivering unparalleled professional design, engineering, and construction services.
- Recently named a Milwaukee Business Journal 2020 Best Place to Work.
- Associated with many exciting state, municipal, federal, and commercial projects. Check out our website for a complete list of interesting projects. walbecgroup.com
- Proud Partner of the Green Bay Packers.
Why Should You Apply?
First, because we are committed to a diverse and inclusive culture here at the Walbec Group. Our leadership understands the unique abilities and differences of our team members is what drives our innovation and growth. When you choose Walbec, you'll be welcomed into a supportive environment where all team members feel heard, respected, and valued.
- Family-oriented, supportive culture that supports a work-life balance
- Growth opportunities working alongside and learning from experienced industry professionals
- Excellent wages and benefits packages offered through local trade union
(Average 1,500 2,200 hours/year)
- Asphalt Helper (1-4 years): $26-27 + Benefits
- Apprentice (1-4 years): $28-$36 + Benefits
- Journeyman: $40-41 + Benefits
We're looking for an Asphalt Plant Helper responsible for assisting with a variety of semi-skilled duties for asphalt plants such as:
- Monitor equipment operation for consistent flow of materials to produce high-quality, in-spec hot mix asphalt for internal and external customers
- Load out trucks for material distribution utilizing computerized operations
- Feed aggregate materials into the asphalt plant
- Follow all safety requirements to maintain a safe work environment
- Maintain a clean and orderly work site (shoveling, sweeping; intro to skid steer operation)
- Replace wear components on plant equipment (including cutting, welding, fabricating)
- Work on elevated platforms as well as enter and monitor confined spaces
- Monitor aggregate gradations and moisture contents to ensure consistency of materials
- Monitor hot mix asphalt test results to verify finish materials are consistent, of high quality, and are produced within job specifications
- Use equipment such as: Welders (Stick, MIG), Oxy Acetylene Torches, Pneumatic Jackhammers, Power Tools (Drill, Grinder, Impact Wrench, etc.)
- Introduction to equipment: Front End Loader, Skid Steer Loader, Aerial Man Lift, Telehandler Lift, Water Truck, Telescoping Boom Truck, Dump Truck
Our union employees enjoy the quality benefits provided by our union partners. Additionally, union employees have access to a variety of training on our Walbec employee website portal, as well as the Operating Engineers Local 139 Coloma Training Center for personal and professional development opportunities.
Projects will vary by location throughout the local area, or the state, so reliable transportation and/or a willingness to travel to any job site is required as needed
- Successfully pass aptitude tests
- Proficiency in Microsoft programs and basic computer skills
- Requires climbing ability to clean, maintain and repair all levels of the asphalt plant; Ability to work on elevated platforms and in confined spaces
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written
- Ability to work varied hours including nights, early mornings, and weekends as needed
- Capacity to tolerate and work in variable weather conditions, and work in dirty and dusty environments
- Member of the appropriate trade union or willingness to become a union member are required. Union membership is not required prior to employment. Our Human Resources Department is able to assist in that process as needed.
- High School diploma or GED equivalent preferred
- CDL is desired by not necessary
- Mechanical/Fabricating background and/or aptitude preferred
- Prior experience and/or education in a related field preferred
We are an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer and it is our practice to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants. In addition, it is the policy of the Company to comply with applicable federal, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in each locality in which the Company has employees. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply!