Union Scale - Hourly
We are also hiring for other Heavy Highway Construction positions including:
Payne & Dolan, Inc., a Walbec Group Company
Under the direction of the Area Managers, The Paving Foreman assists with any and all aspects of efficient personnel scheduling, overseeing paving equipment needs and repair, and reinforcement of continuous quality improvement in the area of laydown and compaction.
Role and Responsibilities
- Works directly with the Field Supervisor to help manage the daily paving operations in assigned area(s) including the coordination of personnel needs on a daily basis
- Responds to assignments of Field Supervisor in any capacity needed
- Works with project management staff to monitor job planning and execution to maximize Production, Quality & Safety goals.
- Act as a Floating Foreman, providing temporary Foreman duties and responsibilities as required or directed
- Acts as Safety leader for field operations, being involved and championing the company safety expectations and programs utilizing knowledge of OSHA, OCIP and other regulatory requirements pertaining to paving operations
- One of the primary conductors and Technical Mentor of the Crews for Success program. Works closely with Field Supervisor on any personnel issues that develop
- Helps troubleshoot and repair and paving and paving support equipment in the field or in the shop
- Helps ensure equipment moves and mobilizations are completed effectively and efficiently with Transportation Dept. and Logistics Supervisor
- Assist Field Supervisor as needed to coordinate equipment and pre-job planning with Project Managers, Transportation and Scheduling to ensure job has proper equipment
- Help Field Supervisor Train foreman and crew members using quality manual and training, adhering to best practices guidelines.
- Understand, to an expert level, the machine operations and automation operations of paving equipment being utilized on jobs
- Troubleshoot and provide solutions for correct laydown problems, mat blemishes, screed adjustments, etc.
- Responsible to understand aggregate properties for various mixes, have advanced knowledge of density requirements of mixes being used on projects.
- Works with quality control and technical services on any problems with mix or density on projects in field using a demonstrated knowledge of QC testing and protocols, including compaction requirements of CABC & Asphalt
- Knowledgeable and capable of operating a paver, roller or screed
- Maintain a strong knowledge of Wisconsin and Illinois state DOT specifications for HMA, Safety and CMV operation
- Demonstrates a knowledge of company guidelines and expectations contained in the employee handbook.
- Helps provide Company with continuous improvement analysis of paving operations
- Understands how to read state and municipal plans, and lay-out projects prior to work being done.
- Interact and work well with external and internal customers by showing leadership and acting professional at all times
- Assists as needed in training of foremen and project managers as well as field crew personnel
- Carry a positive attitude and personal appearance. Demonstrate proper work ethic and dedication to job. Set good example.
- Help with continuous improvement initiatives and help implement any new processes being developed.
Qualifications and Education Requirements
- A high ethical standard for personal and business conduct
- Self-directed and motivated; able to manage multiple conflicting and changing priorities.
- Minimum of 8 years at the field level laying and finishing asphalt
- Experience as a Foreman
- Excellent verbal and written communication, consulting, conflict management, interpersonal, and negotiation skills.
- Valid Driver's License and satisfactory driving record
- Working knowledge of CMV guidelines and regulations
- Able to be trusted with confidential information and observe anti-trust laws and regulations
- Excellent personnel management and literacy skills.
- Able to develop strong trust relationships in order to gain support and achieve results.
- Able to establish a strong working rapport with Foremen and field Crew to achieve positive results
This position will be required to travel.
We are an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer and it is our practice to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants. In addition, it is the policy of the Company to comply with applicable federal, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in each locality in which the Company has employees.Apply Now