Payne and Dolan, Inc.
Based on Experience - Hourly
We are also hiring for other Quality Control & Environmental Compliance positions including:
Technical Services Team Leader
Payne & Dolan, a Walbec Group Company
Under the direction of the Technical Services Manager (TSM), the Team Leader is responsible for monitoring daily processes and control within a team of Field Technicians. Success is defined as the continuous compliance to quality standards and specifications, efficient use and proper training of personnel and equipment, developing a team environment, minimization of risk and compliance with organizational policies, procedures, and ethical standards.
Role and Responsibilities:
- Directly manage their team's compliance to specifications and understanding the daily responsibilities of the team
- Open communication and sharing knowledge with the TSM to solve problems as they arise
- Plan for, implement and ensure accurate completion of assignments and responsibilities of the Field Technicians daily
- Define work to be done while clearly communicating responsibility and objectives to individuals
- Review test data of the entire team in a timely manner and work with Field Technicians to troubleshoot problems and proactively avoid potential issues
- Effectively collaborate with manufacturing and other departments consistently
- Efficiently schedule team members and resources while communicating with the TSM and other Team Leaders
- Coach and monitor the development of each team member individually, and in relation to the team aspect, all while demonstrating acceptance of the company culture and adoption of professional ethical standards
- Verify each team member understands that all tests are performed per the standards and reported accurately and honestly. Continually discuss and reaffirm with all team members the demands for ethical compliance and the highest degree of integrity in performing their responsibilities
- Responsible for managing the day to day personnel and equipment within their team, working with other Team Leaders and the Technical Services Managers to properly allocate equipment and resources on a daily basis
- Assign tasks appropriately based on workload, clearly communicating the expectations of the tasks to ensure completion and desired results are achieved and communicated to appropriate members of the organization
- Effectively train and communicate with team members to create an understanding of job specific specifications
- Collaborate with their team members and the manufacturing team to administer plant changes as necessary to ensure materials are produced per the specification as required by contract and ensure team members are communicating timely with plant and street foreman
- Review all daily test results produced by their team, identifying potential concerns and assist their team members to proactively address those concerns. Assist with production troubleshooting and corrective actions to reduce risk
- Manage the distribution of test results to engineers, consultants, and customers in a timely manner while conducting business in a professional manner through the proper communication channels
- Guarantee that all labs used by their team members are maintained, in good working condition and all equipment calibrated with the proper records available upon request.
- Assist the TSM to certify that all personnel in their subsequent department are properly trained, supervised and equipped with the necessary tools and equipment to ensure their personal safety in the office, laboratory, and construction project sites and in vehicles. Guarantee adherence with the requirements of the company's Quality Assurance and Quality Control policies and procedures
- Develop and maintain relationships with fellow Technical Services team members and other members within the organization, requesting input and recommending improvements where appropriate
- Mentor technicians and foster an environment that helps individuals perform effectively and productively by providing feedback, acquiring necessary resources, problem solving, and communicating openly
- Demonstrate thorough understanding of the most current specifications, process control, and material production troubleshooting and know how our laboratories compare with customer laboratories to be able to predict and minimize potential risk
- Create a supportive environment, both inter and intra department, that allows mistakes but not failure
- Demonstrate an acceptance of the organization culture (adherence to the Walbec values) and an adoption of professional standards
- Perform other related duties as required and assigned
Qualifications and Education Requirements:
- Bachelor's Degree
- A minimum of 3 years' experience in inspection and testing of road and paving materials and construction; satisfactorily directed testing or inspection services, or both, of road and paving materials is acceptable.
- Holds or is qualified for a current WisDOT HMA'TPC (WI), IDOT - HMA II (IL), or MDOT (MI) certification.
- Demonstrated problem solving skills
- Proven ability to effectively train, evaluate and communicate with others
- Proven ability to manage multiple and/or complex projects simultaneously
- Must be proficient with computers, the Microsoft suite of programs, and an understanding of current technology trends
- Must demonstrate excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to travel locally and regionally as needed
- Knowledge of the principles, practices, specifications and procedures of the industry
- Certifications from WI, IL, and MI, as necessary, for testing aggregate, asphalt, and concrete
Must have reliable transportation, ability to travel and must show up to work on time every day. The ability to work varied hours including overtime as needed.
We are an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer and it is our practice to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants. In addition, it is the policy of the Company to comply with applicable federal, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in each locality in which the Company has employees.