Payne and Dolan, Inc.
Based on Experience - Hourly
Mechanic - Heavy Truck/Diesel
Payne & Dolan, a Walbec Group Company
Under the direction of the Shop Foreman, the Heavy Equipment Mechanic maintains equipment operation by completing inspections and preventive maintenance requirements; correcting vehicle deficiencies; making adjustments and alignments; keeping records.
Role and Responsibilities
- Determines vehicle condition by conducting inspections and diagnostic tests; identifying worn and damaged parts.
- Keeps equipment available for use by completing preventive maintenance schedules; installing component and part upgrades; controlling corrosion; completing winterization procedures.
- Corrects vehicle deficiencies by removing, repairing, adjusting, overhauling, assembling, disassembling, and replacing major assemblies, sub-assemblies, components, parts, or systems, such as, power and drive trains, electrical, air conditioning, fuel, emission, brake, steering, hydraulics; completes machine shop operations; making adjustments and alignments including bearing loads, gear tooth contact, valve mechanisms, governors, oil systems, control linkages, clutches, and traction units.
- Verifies vehicle performance by conducting test drives; adjusting controls and systems.
- Complies with federal and state vehicle requirements by testing engine, safety, and combustion control standards.
- Maintains vehicle appearance by cleaning, washing, and painting.
- Maintains vehicle records by annotating services and repairs.
- Keeps shop equipment operating by following operating instructions; troubleshooting breakdowns; maintaining supplies; performing preventive maintenance; calling for repairs.
- Contains costs by using warranty; evaluating service and parts options.
- Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading technical and regulation publications.
- Enhances maintenance department and organization reputation by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests; exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments.
- Performs other related duties as required and assigned.
Qualifications and Education Requirements
- Valid Driver's License that meets requirements
- Valid CDL
- Prior work experience working on heavy duty trucks, heavy equipment, etc.
- Required to have own tools up to " drive (some tools supplied by the shop)
- Prior experience doing diesel engine repairs and working on heavy truck drive lines
- Prior experience working on Cat ET Cummins
- Prior experience conducting DOT inspections
- Prior experience performing diagnostics, welding and fabricating
- Prior experience working in a shop and performing field service repairs
- High School diploma, vocational training, certification form an accreditation organization, or combination of schooling and relevant work experience
- Strong technical understanding, attention to detail, and thoroughness
- Prior experience documenting repairs
- Sound understanding of using all repair tools, equipment and testing machinery
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an individual encounters while performing the essential functions of this position.
- Be able to tolerate variable weather conditions from extreme heat to cold
- Work in a dirty and dusty environment
- Be able to walk and/or stand for extended time (up to an entire day's shift)
- Be able to comprehend, understand and follow policies, procedures and safety requirements
- Have the ability to hear and see to the level of accomplishment for above requirements
Additional Notes:Must have reliable transportation and show up to work on time every day. The ability to work varied hours includingovertime as needed.
We are an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer and it is our practice to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants. In addition, it is the policy of the Company to comply with applicable federal, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in each locality in which the Company has employees.