Payne and Dolan, Inc.
Senior Civil Engineer
PAYNE AND DOLAN, INC.- A Walbec Group Company
Professional construction and engineering services, asphalt pavement material producer and paving contractor since 1932.
P&D has established a strong commitment to quality, safety, innovation, and leadership. Our team of talented civil engineers are well equipped to provide a full range of construction services including design consultation and construction oversight. As an asphalt, aggregate, and concrete manufacturer, we take pride in our ability to manage and control the process, thereby ensuring that our customers always receive the best material for each specific need.
Senior Civil Engineer
Under the direction of the Area Manager of Engineering, the Project Engineer III will lead teams of Engineers on projects and provide input on schedules for a wide range of civil land development and civil public infrastructure projects. This advanced Supervisory position will be responsible for the results of the engineering staff on complex projects including residential/commercial and mixed use developments, transportation projects and public infrastructure (sanitary sewer, water supply, water resources and storm drainage).
Role and Responsibilities
- Work in a Supervisory and Lead capacity with all phases of infrastructure and land development projects, which may include roadway design and reconstruction, resurfacing, drainage design and improvements, site planning, and inspections
- Technical specialist for the organization in application of advanced concepts, principles and methods
- Provide a thorough knowledge of current principles and practices of civil engineering
- Apply knowledge and experience acquired to resolve critical engineering issues or address unique conditions
- Interpret complex engineering data and organizes, executes and coordinates engineering assignments
- Plan and coordinate detailed aspects of engineering work such as project scheduling and maintenance
- Assign tasks and direct engineers, technicians and administrative personnel
- Responsible for the preparation of proposals to provide engineering services or obtain funding for projects
- Review and approve scopes, budgets and schedules for assignment
- Create or modify and/or approve civil site development design documents
- Act as a Lead Project Manager and mentor teams of individuals on multiple engineering projects
- Responsible for ensuring that the efforts of the Engineering Team are progressing in the most efficient manner possible.
- Approve the development of detail site development drawings
- Represent the company in a positive manner with clients and agencies and at conferences or consulting requests
- Apply engineering application software for the design of site grading, drainage and site surveys
- Perform complex and advanced engineering and design functions and ensure the efficient accomplishment of project schedules
- Evaluate individual staff performance and participate in staff development processes
- Develop relationships with prospective clients, while maintaining existing client relationships
- Pursue and communicate leads and/or bid opportunities and participate in activities deemed necessary for business development
- Perform other related duties as required and assigned
Qualifications and Education Requirements
- Bachelor's degree in Civil Engineering
- Minimum 10 years of experience in the construction engineering field, including 5 years as a Professional Engineer (PE)
- Detailed knowledge of Heavy civil design, commercial & residential site planning/site development and storm water & erosion control design
- Expert level knowledge of AutoCAD/Civil 3D software
- Member of a professional engineering organization
- Must be a reliable, efficient self-starter with initiative and a sense of responsibility
- Ability to communicate to others to convey information effectively, either by telephone, in written form, email or in person
- Valid Driver's License and considered insurable by insurance standard
- Supervisory level knowledge of other Autodesk civil design products and/or other civil design products such as Bentley or MicroStation
- 8+ years of experience in Civil Site design, Transportation & Roadway, Utility Planning Design and Footing & Foundation design
- Expert level knowledge of internally used software (TAD, HCSS, KPI's, etc.)
Position is located in Greenville, WI office, but extensive travel throughout the Midwest may be required.
Going up and down ladders, stairs, and ramps.
Using of feet and legs, and/or hands and arms. Body agility is emphasized
Maintaining body equilibrium to prevent falling when walking, standing, or crouching on narrow, slippery, or erratically moving surfaces
Bending body downward and forward by bending at the waist. This task is important if it occurs a considerable degree and requires full use of the lower extremities and back muscles
Bending legs at knee to come to a rest on knee or knees
Bending the body downward and forward by bending leg and spine
Moving about on hands and knees or hands and feet
Using upper arms and shoulders to exert force in order to draw, drag, or tug objects in a sustained motion.
Raising objects from a lower to a higher position or moving objects horizontally from position to position. This factor is important if it occurs to a considerable degree and requires the substantial use of the upper arms, shoulders, and back.
Picking, pinching, typing, keyboarding, or otherwise working primarily with fingers rather than whole hand or arms as in handling
Applying pressure to an object with the fingers and palms
Perceiving attributes of objects, such as size, shape, temperature, or texture by touching with skin, particularly that of fingertips.
Raising arms from a lower to a higher position in all planes and directions, to conduct task. This factor is important if it occurs to a considerable degree and requires the substantial use of the upper arms, shoulders, and back muscles.
To support oneself on the feet in an erect position
To move along on foot: advance by steps.
Using of hands to grasp, lift and use tools and material
To rest on the buttocks or haunches, while using upper extremities.
Critical How important is the item to completion of assigned responsibilities
A = essential to the job B = required, but not essential C = not required
Frequency How often does the job require the employee to demonstrate the task
1 = less then 10% of time 2 = from 11 25 % of time 3 = from 26 50 % of time
4 = from 51 75 % of time 5 = from 75 100 % of time
Intensity Lifting, carrying, pushing and pulling of weight to the completion of assigned responsibilities
1 = less then 10 lbs. 2 = from 10 24 lbs. 3 = from 25 49 lbs.
4 = from 50 74 lbs. 5 = from 74 99 lbs. 6 = from 100 lbs. and up
Be able to tolerate variable weather conditions from extreme heat to cold Work in a dirty and dusty environment
Be able to walk and/or stand for extended time (up to an entire day's shift)
Be able to comprehend, understand and follow policies, procedures and safety requirements Have the ability to hear and see to the level of accomplishment for above requirements
We are an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer and it is our practice to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants. In addition, it is the policy of the Company to comply with applicable federal, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in each locality in which the Company has employees.